Wild rice stuffing
Healthy Eating recipes: Wild rice stuffing
This is a great alternative to bread stuffing for those on a gluten free diet or for those intolerant to wheat. As an extra bonus, it contains more fibre, anti oxidants, nutrients and essential fatty acids!!
Great with one of your favourite roasts. I use this a lot with chicken and its a great side dish. I use it when I have coeliac family and friends coming for Sunday lunch.
- 125g wild rice
- 250 g long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 180g diced celery
- 500g mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 green apple (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 6 dried apricots
- 125g raisins
- 125g fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh sage
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme
- ½ tbsp fennel seeds
- 130ml water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 900ml of water to the boil. Meanwhile wash wild and other rice and add to boiling water. Bring down to simmer and let cook for 45 mins.
- If water is left after cooking, drain off.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the water or chicken stock in a saucepan and add the onions, sauté for 5-10 mins.
- Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for another 5 mins.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour over the mixing bowl filled with rice, mix well and set aside.
- Always stuff turkey just before putting in oven.
- Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free (if water is used and not chicken stock)