Tray Bake Chicken with Mediterranean Vegetables
Monday 26th April
Last week was Eat Smart Week, an initiative run by the Nutrition and Health Foundation. Check out there website as there are plenty of tips and hints for healthy eating. I have also attached my favourite of their healthy eating recipes below. One alternative I would advise to to simply grill meat rather than char grill. Char grilled meats have been linked to increased rates of cancer and so simply placing under the grill instead is a healthier food option.
I would also substitute the couscous for bulghur wheat - they cook in the same way but bulghur wheat is considered a whole grain while couscous is not. Simply place the bulghur wheat in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to rest for 15 mins - easy healthy living!
Healthy Recipes - Tray Bake Chicken and Mediterranean Vegetables
|4 chicken breasts, skin on*
2 red onions, sliced into wedges
2 red peppers, sliced into strips
2 yellow peppers, sliced into strips
2 courgettes, halved and sliced into half moons
1 aubergine, cubed
250 g cherry tomatoes
50 g pitted olives
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, rubbed between your hands to release oils
6 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
200 g couscous, made up with stock**
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a large roasting tray with foil. Pour in all the vegetables, rosemary and garlic. Toss well with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. Season the chicken well and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss through with the vegetables to coat in garlic and rosemary.
3. Place vegetables in a large baking dish, nestle the chicken on top, skin side up. Drizzle over a little extra balsamic vinegar.
4. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Place under the grill for an extra 5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
6. Serve with couscous and the roasting tin juices.
- Dairy free and sugar free