Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Its January. Its cold.
Everything around me is screaming slow down, comfort,enjoy and take time out.
So its the perfect to make a big bowl of soup and nourish your soul.
I'm trying to keep a cold at bay so I want something filled with antioxidants to boost my immune system and naturally warming properties.
- 1 red or yellow onion - chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 turmeric
- 2 inches ginger root - grated
- 3 large carrots - chopped
- 1 sweet potato - chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of red split lentils - washed and drained well
- 1 litre of boiling water or stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syup
- Add a little water or coconut oil to a large saucepan and put on medium heat.
- Saute the onions for around 5 minutes to soften.
- Add all the spices and stir well for a minute.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato, split lentils and give a good stir. (to save cooking time, I grate the carrots and sweet potatoes and they cook in a quarter of the time!!)
- Add the boiling water or stock and season with some salt or pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce down a little. Allow to boil steadily around around 10 minutes (if grated) or 20-30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to boil, stirring the coconut milk through the mixture. Add maple syrup and stir well.
- Blitz with a hand blender or place in food processor.
- Serve straight away.
- I get about 4-5 lunches out of this.
- Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free